Connect with us

NEWS

Ambode Drums Support For Buhari, Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode on Tuesday assured Lagosians that the Government would deliver more life changing projects in 2019 for the greater benefit of all residents.

Governor Ambode, who spoke in his New Year message to Lagosians at the grand finale of the 2018 One Lagos Fiesta (OLF) held at the Eko Atlantic City in Victoria Island, said though 2018 was a great year for the State, the New Year holds greater promises for all.

He said: “I want to thank God for giving us this New Year and also thank all residents of the State for being peaceful and for cooperating with our government in delivering services in 2018 and we are ready to take Lagos to the next level.”

On expectations for Lagos, Governor Ambode said irrespective of the fact that 2019 is an election year, the State would witness more prosperity as the enabling environment for the economy to thrive had already been firmly established.

“I want you to know that 2019 has a lot in stock for all of us and we must stand up for a better Nigeria and a greater Lagos.

“I believe the GDP of Lagos will grow and I believe irrespective of what is happening, Lagos remains the most prosperous State in Nigeria and it can only get better,” the Governor said.  

The Governor attributed the successes his administration has recorded in the last few years to the sterling efforts of security agencies in keeping the city safe, adding that the State has emerged as the safest place to live in Africa.

He also assured that he would leave no stone unturned to ensure that ongoing capital projects across the State would be completed before the expiration of his tenure in May.

“The modest successes we have recorded would not have been possible without the efforts of security agencies in the State.

“I want to appreciate the efforts of security agencies for their dogged contribution in making our State the safest place to live in the country and Africa right now.

“Let me also assure residents that we are committed to their well-being, security and safety. We also want to assure that we are committed to completing all on-going projects before the end of May,” the Governor said.

The Governor said he was thrilled that the OLF was meeting the set objectives, saying that the positive impact of the fiesta on the economy of the State had been massive and encouraging.

“The positive economic impact of the fiesta is very visible. You see, at the beginning, we were doing this particular fiesta in just one location but again we have been able to increase it to five locations, eight days, 40 concerts and you can imagine everything surrounding it in terms of employment, job opportunities for food hawkers, artisans and above all, the security that has kept the city very safe.

“So, we are very excited that this is part of the GDP that we are growing for Lagos and I know that this will be continued by the next government. I am satisfied that we made a promise that we were going to use tourism, entertainment , arts and sports to promote excellence in Lagos and almost four years after, people can see that we have fulfilled it and Lagos is the only destination for people in December, he said.’’

Besides, Governor Ambode also seized the occasion to urge Lagosians to go all out and vote enmasse for President Muhammadu Buhari in the February 16 presidential election and also for the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu in the March 2 election.

According to him, victory for both and all other candidates of the party would continue the positive economic trajectory the country and the State in particular has witnessed since 2015.

“It is the best interest of all of us to re-elect President Muhammadu Buhari and we assure the President that we would deliver Lagos for him come 2019.

“In Lagos, we must continue with the plan that has worked and vote Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu as the next Governor of Lagos State,” he said.

The 2018 OLF with the theme, ‘A December To Remember’, continued in its fine tradition of holding simultaneously in five locations including Agege, Badagry, Ikorodu, Lagos Island and Epe just as it attracted thousands of participants and millions of viewers across the world.

The highlight of the grand finale at the Eko Atlantic City venue was the spectacular display of fireworks and the raffle draw which saw Mr. Ayodeji Omoboye, a resident in Ikorodu emerge winner of a brand new car from GAC Motors, while other residents went home with consolation prizes.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

Issue Adeleke Certificate of Return as duly elected Osun Gov, tribunal orders INEC

Published

on

The Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has ordered INEC to issue Certificate of Return as duly elected governor to Senator Ademola Adeleke, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2018 election.

The three-man tribunal upheld the petitions filed by Adeleke and the PDP, challenging the victory of the All Progressives Congress and Gboyega Oyetola at the September 2018 governorship election.

The tribunal had earlier dismissed the objections of the APC and Oyetola, insisting that Adeleke’s petition had merit.

The tribunal also declared the rerun election as illegal.

NAN reports that the PDP and Adeleke had filed a petition asking the tribunal to declare that Adeleke polled the highest lawful votes and should be declared the winner.

But Oyetola, APC and INEC had filed their notices of preliminary objection, contending, among others, that the petition was incompetent and that the court lacked jurisdiction.

The tribunal also held that the supplementary election held by INEC in seven cancelled units on September 22, 2018, was null and void.

The tribunal ruled that the Returning Officer who cancelled the results had no power to do so.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

NEWS

Osun governorship re-run election illegal, tribunal declares

Published

on

The Osun State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja has declared as illegal the September 27, 2018 supplementary governorship election held in seven polling units as illegal.

The tribunal held that the supplementary election was a product of an illegal cancellation of the results in the seven polling units during the September 22, 2018 main election.

It ruled that the Returning Officer who cancelled the results had no power to do so.

The Peoples Democratic Party and its governorship candidate, Ademola Adeleke, in the election had filed the petition urging the tribunal to declare that Adeleke polled the highest lawful votes and be declared the winner.

Punch Newspaper

Continue Reading

NEWS

BreakingNew:FG closes case against Onnoghen after 3 witnesses

Published

on

Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, after it produced only three witnesses that testified before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT.

Suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen Though FG initially expressed its intention to produce a total of six witnesses to substantiate all the allegations it levelled against the embattled CJN, however, shortly after the third witness was discharged, the prosecution counsel told the tribunal that it would be unnecessary to call further witnesses.

The prosecution counsel, Mr. Aliyu Umar, SAN, told the tribunal that the defendant was at liberty to summon any of the listed but uncalled witnesses to testify on his behalf if he so wished. He was immediately overruled by the CCT Chairman, Mr. Danladi Umar, even as Onnoghen’s lawyer, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, rejected the offer.

“This is the case of the prosecution. If it feels that it is satisfied with evidence of the three witnesses, then so be it”, the CCT Chairman held. Thereafter, Awomolo told the tribunal that the CJN would in line with section 303 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, ACJA, 2015, enter a no case submission with respect to all the allegations FG levelled against him. Awomolo, therefore, applied for record of proceedings of the tribunal to enable his client to file the necessary processes.

The case was subsequently adjourned till next week Friday for hearing of the no-case application by the embattled CJN, as well as for adoption of the final written addresses. Earlier in the proceeding, the third prosecution witness, PW-3, Mr. Ifeoma Okagbue, a staff of Standard Chartered Bank in Abuja, told the tribunal that it was not true that the defendant possessed either $1million or £1million in any of the five bank accounts that necessitated the charge. Okagbue who told the tribunal that she started managing Onnoghen’s bank accounts since 2015, gave a load down of both the opening and closing balance of all the accounts from January 2018 to January 2019.

She said the accounts were all linked to one Bank Verification Code, BVN, adding that the bank had upon securing an approval from the defendant, diverted funds from the accounts into various profit yielding ventures. The PW-3 told the tribunal that profits that accrued from the investments were credited back into the accounts. While two of the accounts are in Naira, the three others were Pounds Sterling, Euro and Dollar accounts. The witness told the tribunal that all the accounts were domiciliary, and were opened and managed at the branch of the bank in Wuse 2, Abuja.

Before Mrs. Okagbue mounted the witness box, the PW-2, who is a retired Director at the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, Mr. Awal Yakassai, told the Mr. Umar led three-man panel that contrary to what was alleged in the media, he said the suspended CJN owned only five houses.

He said it was not true that CCB investigators linked the ownership of 55 houses to the defendant. The witness made the disclosure after he was shown copies of Justice Onnoghen’s asset declaration forms, which the Federal Government tendered in evidence before the CCT.

The embattled CJN was said to have submitted the forms marked as Exhibit 2 and 3, to the CCB in 2014 and 2016.

Answering questions under cross-examination, the PW-2, told the tribunal that he served at the CCB for 29 years before he retired in April 2018. He admitted that the CCB was yet to verify Justice Onnoghen’s assets with a view to finding out if he made false declarations. Aside allegation that he failed to declare his assets as prescribed by the law, FG had in the charge marked CCT/ABJ/01/19, FG, alleged that Onnoghen operated five foreign bank accounts, contrary to section 15(2) of Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act.

FG had insisted that it was the CCB that okayed Onnoghen’s trial based on certain infractions that were discovered in his asset declaration forms.

Continue Reading

Trending