Twitter Inc deleted more than 10,000 automated accounts posting messages that discouraged people from voting in U.S. election.
The accounts wrongly appeared to be from Democrats, after the party flagged the misleading tweets to the social media company.
“We took action on relevant accounts and activity on Twitter,” a Twitter spokesman said in an email. The removals took place in late September and early October.
Twitter removed more than 10,000 accounts, according to three sources familiar with the Democrats’ effort. The number is modest, considering that Twitter has previously deleted millions of accounts it determined were responsible for spreading misinformation in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Yet the removals represent an early win for a fledgling effort by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, or DCCC, a party group that supports Democrats running for the U.S. House of Representatives.
The DCCC launched the effort this year in response to the party’s inability to respond to millions of accounts on Twitter and other social media platforms that spread negative and false information about Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and other party candidates in 2016, three people familiar with the operation told Reuters.
While the prevalence of misinformation campaigns have so far been modest in the run-up to the Congressional elections on Nov. 6, Democrats are hoping the flagging operation will help them react quickly if there is a flurry of such messages in the coming days.
The Tweets included ones that discouraged Democratic men from voting, saying that would drown out the voice of women, according to two of the sources familiar with the flagging operation.
The DCCC developed its own system for identifying and reporting malicious automated accounts on social media, according to the three party sources.
The system was built in part from publicly available tools known as “Hoaxley” and “Botometer” developed by University of Indiana computer researchers. They allow a user to identify automated accounts, also known as bots, and analyze how they spread information on specific topics.
“We made Hoaxley and Botometer free for anyone to use because people deserve to know what’s a bot and what’s not,” said Filippo Menczer, professor of informatics and computer science at the University of Indiana.
The Democratic National Committee works with a group of contractors and partners to rapidly identify misinformation campaigns.
They include RoBhat Labs, a firm whose website says it has developed technology capable of detecting bots and identifying political-bias in messages.
The collaboration with RoBhat has already led to the discovery of malicious accounts and posts, which were referred to social media companies and other campaign officials, DNC Chief Technology Officer Raffi Krikorian said in email.
Buhari Removes Executive Secretary Of TETFund
President Muhammadu Buhari has removed Dr. Abdullahi Baffa as Executive Secretary of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund.
He has been replaced by a former ES of the agency, Prof Suleiman Bogoro.
Dr. Baffa’s removal is with immediate effect. No reason has been given for Baffa’s removal. Prof. Bogoro has resumed office.
There was mild jubilation at the headquarters of the agency this morning in Abuja.
State of Osun: Osun engages six SANs to tackle activist lawyer
Faced by uncertainty of the likely outcome of the appeal it filed against the high court judgment which declared the use of “State of Osun” as illegal, the state government has engaged six Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) as counsels to handle the matter.
Justice Yinka Afolabi of the Osun State High Court sitting in Ilesa has on December 14, 2017 declared as unconstitutional “State of Osun” in a suit filed by an activist lawyer, Barr. Kanmi Ajibola against the enactment of a law tagged “State of Osun Land Use Tax Law”.
Besides, the same judge struck out the stay of execution application of the judgment filed by the state government on December 4, 2018 for lack of dilligent prosecution thereby reestablishing the fact that the persistence use of “State of Osun” remained illegal.
But Barr. Ajibola who is also the Chairman, Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Ilesa Branch filed a fresh suit at the State High Court by dragging the governor, Adegboyega Oyetola and his deputy, Benedict Alabi to court for taking their oaths as governor and deputy governor of “State of Osun” and not of Osun State during their swearing-in of November 27, 2018.
Ajibola who filed a 28-paragraph affidavits along with his originating summons on Thursday, December 27, 2018 asked the court among other things to set aside the swearing-in of thedefendants as governor and deputygovernor of “State of Osun” as illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.
The lawyer asked to court to determinean interpretative inference from the State (Creation and Transitional Provision) Act, Annotated Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2014 and the oath of office of the Governor of a state contained in the Seventh Schedule of the 1999 Constitution whether what the Constitution created is the “State of Osun”.
According to him, maybe by the community reading of the same act andthe 1999 constitution with its schedules and the case of Aregbesola vs. Oyinlola (2010) LPELR – 3805 (CA) whether the 1st Defendant is the “Governor of State of Osun”.
In a swift move, six SANs announced to the Court of Appeal in Akure that they have taken over the case which was earlier being handled by the office of the State Attorney-General (AG) and the Ministry of Justice.
The SANs expected to handle the case are Chief Akin Olujimi, John Baiyeshea, Abiodun Owonikoko, Abiodun Layonu, Dayo Akinlaja and Chief Yomi Alliyu.
Reacting, Barr. Ajibola stated that plaintiffs in any matter have the liberty in the choice of who to use as his lawyer, adding that the state government “knows that the decision of the appeal court will have a weighty impact” on his fresh suit, hence the decision to angage senior lawyers.
“But I am ready for them. We are all going to speak on the point of law. What I know is that State of Osun cannot stand anywhere. We will all know the truth very soon.”, he added.
Breakingnews: PDP Presidential Candidate Off to USA
The Boss can authoritatively reveal that Former Vice President and People’s Democratic Party ( PDP) Presidential Candiadate left for the United States of America from Lagos, Nigeria’ commercial capital.
The news that Atiku is on his way to the United States has caught politicians especially those in the opposition napping and we gathered from reliable sources that calls have been going back and forth to confirm what will certainly be the game changer that will give the PDP campaign a huge boost.
Our sources revealed that Atiku left from George Hotel, Ikoyi with his entourage and was decked in pair of chinos and T-shirt, he also dorned a sport jacket and looked very trendy.
More detail later
COLUMNISTS1 week ago
The Trials of a Chief Justice: Justice And Buhari’s Aberration of Due Process
COLUMNISTS3 weeks ago
BUILDING SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV
Headline3 weeks ago
Pray For Peaceful, Successful 2019 Elections….Obasa
COLUMNISTS2 weeks ago
CPPM CONDEMNS MILITARY TAKEOVER & DEMANDS IMMEDIATE RESTORATION OF DEMOCRATIC STRUCTURES IN GABON
BUSINESS2 weeks ago
WITH FIRSTBANK’S ARRAY OF EXCITING EDUCATIONAL SOLUTIONS, YOUR SCHOOL’S FINANCIAL NEEDS IS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
NEWS2 weeks ago
Re-electing Buhari ‘ll bring double portion of hardship….Adeoye
Banking4 weeks ago
Vybing with FirstBank: An unforgettable VIP experience
BUSINESS3 weeks ago
FIRSTBANK VIBES WITH THE STYLISH KIDS AT NATIVELAND