Connect with us

NEWS

Appeal Court reserves judgment in Rivers guber poll

Published

on

The Court of Appeal, Abuja on Thursday reserved judgment in an appeal filed by Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers challenging his removal by the election petitions tribunal for the state.

The court of appeal panel presided over by Justice Dongban Memsem held that it would communicate the judgment date to parties in the appeal.

Ruling on all motions raised by the parties and judgment is hereby reserved. The date will be communicated to all parties,’’ she said.

Earlier, Wike’s lawyer, Emmanuel Ukala (SAN) had adopted his written address and asked the court to grant the appeal.

He urged the court to upturn the decision of the Suleiman Ambursa’s led tribunal which nullified the election of his client and ordered INEC to conduct a re-run election within 90 days.

Ukala argued that the tribunal erred in law in its decision and also failed to give his client fair hearing.

Some of the motion we raised were never considered by the tribunal before it gave its judgment.

The failure to give fair hearing to our client rendered the entire process at the tribunal a nullity.

We urged the court to allow the appeal in its entirety and dismiss the objections raised by the respondents,’’ he said.

Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN) who represented the Peoples Democratic Party urged the court to uphold the appeal in the interest of justice. Counsel to Dakuku Peterside, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the election, however, asked the court to dismiss the appeal.

It will be recalled that the tribunal had nullified Wike’s election following the petition filed by Peterside. Chief Akinlolu Olujimi (SAN), counsel to Peterside argued that most of the issues raised in the appeal did not emanate from the judgment of the tribunal.

He urged the court to look into the issues raised at the tribunal and flow from the tribunal’s decision. Speaking in the same vein, counsel to APC, Yusuf Ali (SAN) urged the court to dismiss the appeal for lacking in merit.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

BreakingNews: Gokada CEO Fahim Saleh found dead

Published

on

Fahim Saleh, founder and Chief Executive Officer of ride-hailing company Gokada, is dead.

Saleh’ s dismembered and decapitated remains were found in his home on Manhattan’s Lower East Side on Tuesday afternoon, according to The New York Times.

His dog, Laila, was, however, found alive in the apartment at 265, East Houston Street near Suffolk Street.

The 33-year-old technology entrepreneur was murdered by assailants who scattered his body parts in different locations within the apartment.

According to homicide detectives, his torso, head, limbs, and an electric saw were found in separate places within the apartment, adding that effort had been made to clean up any evidence of what had happened.

The police did not immediately identify him but several friends who spoke on the condition of anonymity said he was Fahim Saleh.

Saleh’s sister made the gruesome discovery around 3:30 p.m. when she went to check on him after not hearing from him for a day, the police said.

The saw was still plugged into an electrical outlet when the police arrived, leading detectives to investigate whether the arrival of  Saleh’s sister at the condo might have interrupted the killing and prompted the killer to flee through another exit, one of the law enforcement officials said.

The official said a surveillance camera had captured a video of Saleh in the building’s elevator with another person who was wearing a black suit and black mask.

On the video, the elevator door opens and Saleh goes into the apartment while the masked person follows directly behind him, and the two immediately start to struggle.

The sister is seen on the video arriving a short time later. There is a second way out of the apartment through a service entrance.

Born in Saudi Arabia, Saleh, the son of Bangladeshi immigrants started Gokada in Lagos State in 2018 and raised $5.3 million in venture capital in June 2019.

Source: Punch Newspaper

Continue Reading

NEWS

Lagos Assembly Correspondents Mourn Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh

Published

on

Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly Correspondents’ Association (LAHACA) have condoled with the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. (Dr.) Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa, other lawmakers, staff of the assembly and family members of the late Hon. Tunde Braimoh over his sudden death on Friday July 10, 2020.

LAHACA members described the death of Hon. Braimoh who was the Chairman of the House Committee on Information, Publicity, Security and Strategy as unexpected, sad and a great loss to the All Progressives Congress (APC), the parliament in Lagos State in particular, and Nigeria in general.

In a statement issued by the Chairman of LAHACA, Mr. Olanrewaju Adesanya, he said that the late Hon. Braimoh was an ebullient, eloquent personality and a wordsmith who spoke the English Language with dexterity.

“When Hon. Tunde Braimoh spoke, you just had to listen to him. He was blunt, effervescent, and persuasive. He was careful with his words.

“He was the Chairman of the House Committee on Information, Publicity, Security and Strategy. In that capacity, we became closer and we realized that he was good-natured.”

“In my last chat with him weeks before his sudden demise, I got a feel of how conscious he was about the wellness of his people and the residents of Lagos State in general. We spoke at length on the need for him to relate more with members of the press covering the Assembly,” the statement read.

The LAHACA Chairman then urged members of the Assembly community, his family members, his associates and friends to see his death as the will of the Almighty God, while praying that God would give his family members the fortitude to bear the loss.

Mr. Adesanya said that members of LAHACA would miss the late lawmaker and prayed that “God would give the Lagos Assembly community and the family members of the deceased the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

AGF Malami should not be paid back with evil, group tells fake news peddlers

Published

on

Group under the auspices of Network Against Cyber Bullying (NACB), has cautioned fake news and unfounded allegations peddlers to desist from attacking the person and personality of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister for Justice; Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN) on social and other media platforms.

The group in a statement signed and made available to journalists by the duo of Adamu Musa, Chairman; and Kesley George, Secretary; said, “We the members of the Network Against Cyber Bullying (NACB), have noticed a recent systematic attack on the person of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister for Justice; Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN). Fake news and unfounded allegations have been circulating on the social media. This is coming days after a very top Government official was suspended, on the recommendation of a committee setup by the president, which the Attorney General chaired. The very successful Senior Advocate of Nigeria has served our country for so long and shouldn’t be paid back with evil”

The recent publications, emanating from known radical online platforms have been countered by the Attorney General. In a statement recently released by his spokesman, Mr Malami (SAN) denied all allegations.

The statement read: “The attention of the Honorable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN has been drawn to a mischievous, deceitful and perfidious publication by the notorious factory of fake news in Nigeria, the Sahara Reporters with an intent to spread lies.

“It is regrettable that the information communication technology tools have been hijacked by disgruntled elements in spreading fake news and blatant lies.

“The report by these media platforms is a clear violation of ethical journalism practices on verification of facts and authentication of claims. It evinces lack of professionalism and exposes rash and reckless presentation of figment of imaginations shrouded with bigotry and bundled with sentiments of unscrupulous questions.

“For instance, who is the vendor of the purported house bought for the son of the Minister in Abuja at N300m? Where is the so-called mansion located in Abuja? Where are the title documents?

“While refuting the claim, Malami said “God knows that I did not purchase any house for him in Abuja. Not even a rented house was secured for my son in Abuja, because he has no plan to live in Abuja”.

“The allegation of hiring private jets for the marriage was preposterous. It is common knowledge that the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice had neither a father nor mother anywhere in Nigeria to be conveyed to Kano for the wedding. Who, then is the Attorney-General is using the chartered flight to convey? Which jets are chartered? Who paid for the charter? Through which means was the money paid?”

“Looking at the Minister’s response; Valid questions were asked, and we are sure the peddlers of this deceit, don’t have the answers.

“It may interest the public to know that this 53 year old SAN, is a successful lawyer with a lot of legal victories to his name. As far back as 2014 Mr. Malami aspired to be the Governor of Kebbi State but lost out at the primaries. He is a successful lawyer with a strong network.

“We call on the Attorney General to follow all legal procedures to stop this attack. Enough is enough for peddlers of fake news. Enough is enough for platforms who gain from blackmailing government officials.”

Signed
Adamu Musa
Chairman
Kesley George
Secretary

Continue Reading





FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Trending