Connect with us

NEWS

BreakingNews:Supreme Court dismisses Atiku’s appeal, affirms Buhari’s election

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed the appeal filed by the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, challenging the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari in the February 23, 2019 presidential election.

Source:Punch Newspaper

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

Ecowas backs sacked G.Bissau PM

Published

on

 

West African leaders on Sunday reiterated their backing for Guinea-Bissaus Aristide Gomes, sacked as prime minister by the countrys interim president three weeks ahead of a presidential election.

A delegation of the 15-nation Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas) denounced as illegal President Jose Mario Vazs sacking last week of Gomes and his internationally backed government.

Vaz had no authority to dismiss the administration or appoint a replacement government because his five-year mandate as president had expired in June, said the Ecowas statement.

At a June 29 meeting in Abuja, Nigeria, Ecowas had agreed that Vaz could stay on until the presidential election due November 24, but leave the government to run the country.

ELECTION

Jean-Claude Brou, president of the Ecowas Commission, warned that anyone who tried to prevent the holding of the election this month faced the possibility of sanctions.

Gomes has already described Vazs sacking of him and his cabinet as a coup paving the way for him to stop preparations for the presidential poll.

“My government is the only legitimate one recognised by the international community,” said Gomes after meeting the Ecowas delegation in Bissau.

 

“I am continuing my work, which is to organise the elections at the scheduled date,” he continued, adding: “If the president sets fire to the house, he risks being left without a roof.”

The Ecowas delegation that visited Guinea-Bissau Sunday also met with Vaz, foreign diplomats in the capital, lawmakers and members of the electoral commission, an AFP journalist reported.

But they did not meet the prime minister Vaz appointed to replace Gomes, Faustino Imbali.

CANDIDATES

The UN Security Council on Friday called for the authorities to respect the date set for the holding of the presidential election and rejected Vazs appointment of the new government.

Vaz has already said the election will go ahead, with a second round if necessary being held on December 29.

Vaz, 62, is one of the 12 candidates running for the presidency.

Another former prime minister, Domingos Simoes Pereira, who heads the African Party of the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC), is running against him.

PAIGC won a parliamentary majority in the March 10 legislative election.

Vaz has governed since 2014 in Guinea Bissau, which is stricken by poverty, corruption and drug trafficking.

Continue Reading

NEWS

OGUN ASSEMBLY CONFIRMS GOV ABIODUN’S NOMINEES FOR JUDICIAL SERVICE COMMISSION

Published

on

www.securenigeria365.com

Following the screening of the four nominees whose names were forwarded to the Ogun State House of Assembly by Governor Dapo Abiodun to fill the vacancies in the State Judicial Service Commission last week, the Assembly today confirmed their nomination, describing them as eligible and suitable to assume office as members of the Commission.

The nominees were confirmed at a plenary presided over by Speaker Olakunle Oluomo, at the Assembly Complex, Oke- Mosan, Abeokuta, following the presentation of the  report of the Committee on the Selection of the nominees by the Chairman, House Committee on Justice, Ethics and Public Petition, Hon. Solomon Osho, who thereafter moved the motion for the adoption of the report, seconded by his counterpart from Odeda State Constituency, Oludaisi Elemide and supported by the Whole House through a voice vote.

Consequently, the Majority Leader, Yusuf Sherif moved the motion for the passage of House resolution titled: ” H. R. No 044/OG/2019- Confirmation of the Nomination of Barr. Joel Soyinka, Barr.  Akinpelu Aina as well as Mrs. Yetunde Adesanya and Mrs. Sola Elegbeji as members of the Ogun State Judicial Service Commission”, seconded Hon. Kemi Oduwole and support by the Whole House through a voice vote.

The report partly reads: “the Honourable members examined the Curriculum Vitae and the credentials of the nominees and interviewed them. The nominees were found to be eligible and suitable to assume the exalted office of members of the Judicial Service Commission of Ogun State. The Committee therefore recommended them for confirmation as members of the Judicial Service Commission of Ogun State”.

Meanwhile, it will be recalled that the list of the nominees had earlier been forwarded to the Assembly last week and the nominees screened few days ago by the lawmakers, who charged them to bring their expertise in their different fields of endeavours to bear in reshaping the justice sector in the State for better service delivery.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Buhari extends closure of Nigeria’s borders till January 30 – Official

Published

on

www.securenigeria365.com

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the extension of the ongoing closure of Nigeria’s borders till January 31, 2020. .

The directive was announced in a memo signed and dated November 1, 2019, by Victor Dimka, the Comptroller of Customs in charge of Enforcement, Investigation and Inspectorate, and addressed to Sector Coordinators of the Joint Border Operation Drill – Sectors 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The content of the memo was published by Channels television.
The extension is said to have been necessitated by the need to meet up with other strategic objectives of the federal government
Nigeria closed its land borders in August, three months after signing the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (ACFTA). .
.

Some Nigerians have criticised the border closure, saying it affects the government’s trade commitment with West African countries as well as the ACFTA, and has also led to an increase in prices of otherwise imported products. .
.

The government has however defended the closure, saying the measure is to curb the influx of smuggled goods from neighbouring countries such as Benin, Niger and Cameroon. The goods mostly involved are used cars, food products like rice and poultry, and also illegal arms. .
.

Since the closure, the Nigerian customs has announced an increase in revenue, while the state oil company, NNPC, has also reported a decrease in the volume of petrol smuggled outside Nigeria.
Mr Dimka, in the memo, said the operation (Exercise Swift Response) has recorded “overwhelming success,” considering its benefits to the nation’s economy and security.” .
.

The memo read:
“I am directed to inform you that it is observed that despite the overwhelming success of the operation, particularly the security and economic benefits to the nation, a few strategic objectives are yet to be achieved. .
. “Against this background, Mr President has approved the extension of the exercise to January 31, 2020. “Consequently, you are requested to convey the development to all personnel for their awareness and guidance.

Continue Reading





FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Trending