After all the rigours of election, both financial, mental and physical, it is only fair to congratulate the Lagos governor-elect, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu for his success at the polls.
It also, on the other hand becomes pertinent to keep his campaign promises in close view as it is expected that he will not only fulfil them to the letter but even surpass it, to truly position the state as the center of the nation’s excellence.
Below are his promises:
TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT AND TRANSPORTATION
1. Resolve identified gridlock points within 9 months and strengthen state road and traffic agencies
2. Implement the planned integrated multimodal transport system to ensure all modes of transportation
3. Complete Phase 1 of the Blue Rail line (from Mile 2 to Marina) by 2021 and complete the Red line, in partnership with the Federal Government, by 2022
4. Expand Lagos’ major water transport routes from six to 10 by 2021.
5. Develop Quality Bus Corridors on 10 major existing bus routes and extend the BRT network to include new areas and increase bus fleet from 800 to 2000.
HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT
6. Increase health spending from 8.86% to 15% of budget in line with the Abuja Declaration.
7. Ensure all 37 non-functional PHCs in the state are refurbished and adequately equipped
8. Support LASUTH to become a medical Centre of Excellence in at least 2 specialties
9. Reform the sanitation inspectorate to ensure clean, healthy environment
10. Increase Lagos’ water capacity to the needed 550 million gallons per day
11. Optimise waste management by empowering LAWMA to effectively collect and recycle waste; increase the adoption of waste sorting practices to promote recycling; and drive waste-to-energy initiatives in partnership with the private sector.
EDUCATION AND TECHNOLOGY
12. Increase budgetary allocation for education from 12.07% to 18% during the tenure of the administration
13. Scale up school rehabilitation programme to renovate dilapidated schools and provide adequate furniture and tools for every child in public schools in Lagos.
14. Leverage technology platforms to teach, assess, test and reinforce learning by establishing 300 fully equipped and functional computer labs in secondary schools to complement the existing 12.
15. Facilitate creation of ICT hubs across all the LGAs/LCDAs within first two years.
MAKING LAGOS A 21ST CENTURY ECONOMY
16. Create a conducive business environment to attract investments and industries, encouraging citizen participation and inclusion in governance, empowering the workforce and local talent to drive job and wealth creation, especially opportunities for the youth and repositioning Lagos as the ultimate investment destination for foreign businesses.
ENTERTAINMENT AND TOURISM
17. Restore all historic sites in Lagos; rebrand cultural events like Fanti Carnival, Eyo Festival, Boat Regatta etc. to international standards.
18. Create up to a million jobs in the creative sector; establish the Lagos Film City in partnership with stakeholders
19. Introduce a new sports policy for Lagos to make the sector a viable economic platform
20. Galvanise grassroots participation in sports and revive periodic community sports competition
OONI LAUDS AREGBESOLA @ 63, CALLS HIM AN EPITOME OF LOYALTY
Arole Oduduwa & Ooni of Ife, Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II has described the Nigeria’s Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola as a great icon of public service and epitome of loyalty that must always found worthy of celebrations.
Ooni Ogunwusi who doubles as the permanent chairman of Osun state council of Obas and Co-chairman of National Council of Traditional Rulers of Nigeria(NCTRN) spoke in a press statement released by his Director of Media & Public Affairs, Comrade Moses Olafare congratulating Ogbeni Aregbesola on his 63rd birthday.
“Congratulations from The Arole Oodua Olofin Adimula, Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi to the Minister of Interior, Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Ogbeni Adesoji Rauf Aregbesola on his 63rd Birthday Anniversary.
The statement reads; “Ogbeni Aregbesola as a comrade, you started with student’s right activism over four decades ago. As a proponent of democratic rule, you in the 90s participated in the several pro-June 12 struggles which led to the enthronement of civil rule in 1999.
“You have since 1999 lived for the people through your sterling public service performances, first as Commissioner For Works and Infrastructure in Lagos state from 1999 to 2006, followed by your emergence as Governor of the state Osun from 2010 to 2018 and your current position as Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in charge of Interior through which you oversee very sensitive sections of Nigeria’s internal security like Immigration, Civil Defense, Fire service, Correctional service among other responsibilities.
“RAUF, you are indeed a great descendant of Oduduwa and a Nigerian patriot with incorruptible Pan Africanism for which you are always worthy to be celebrated. You are an Omoluwabi per excellence, a down-to-earth grassroot politician with incredibly huge followership, a great promoter of our cultural values and heritage, an icon of people oriented public service and an epitome of loyalty.”
Ooni, the foremost African monarch and Yoruba’s Natural leader prayed for good heath and longevity for Aregbesola who is the immediate past of the state of Osun.
“My dear Ogbeni, may the Almighty Olodumare keep upholding your entire household as you gloriously clock 63 today.
“We also pray the rest of your journey on this earth shall be characterized by sound health, meaningful long life and immeasurable prosperity.
Igba odun odun kan
Afon a gbo ko to wo
Happy 63rd Birthday!!!” Ooni prayed.
EID-EL FITRI: OONI CONGRATULATES MUSLIMS, SAYS THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON TO CELEBRATE
The Arole Oduduwa & Ooni of Ife, Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II has congratulated Muslims in Nigeria and across the world especially those of Yoruba origin as the holy month of Ramadan comes to an end with the annual Eid-el Fitri celebration.
In a statement by his Director of Media and Public Affairs, Comrade Moses Olafare, the Ooni who is the Co-Chairman, National Council of Traditional Rulers explained that there are reasons to celebrate and thank the Almighty Allah for His goodness and mercies in every situations.
“Celebration here is not the conventional merriment of social gathering as we all know that there is an order against that especially in this situation we are all face with globally. The Ooni says we should celebrate in our various homes with our families by remembering Allah and why we should not give up in our hope of a better tomorrow.
“God in His infinite mercy shall accept our fasting and prayers including those we said against the rampaging coronavirus and other enemies of humanity. We’ve been through a lot together and we can’t but be grateful to God for keeping us.
“Although it is regrettable to realize that we cannot gather like before especially for the annual congregational prayers but we must make the best out of what we have while we hope and pray to be part of the brighter future.” The Ooni said.
In the same vein, the Natural leader of the Oduduwa race worldwide urged Nigerians to keep supporting the government in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic by observing the laid down precautionary measures including maintenance of social distancing, personal hygiene, regular hand washing and others.
African Guarantee Fund Announces Response to Economic Impact of COVID-19
African Guarantee Fund for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (AGF), has today announced its COVID-19 response aimed at reducing the uncertainties facing financial institutions in Africa as a result of the global coronavirus pandemic. AGF’s COVID-19 response is built on the imperative need for commercial solutions over and above the regulatory efforts already provided by the various central banks and governments in the continent.
African Guarantee Fund’s response sets the platform for economic stabilization, followed by an economic revival through AGF’s newly developed COVID-19 Guarantee Facility that will, firstly, provide more comfort to financial institutions to restructure facilities that become non-performing because of COVID-19 and, secondly, provide commercial stimulus to the financial sector with the aim of mitigating the deterioration of SMEs’ perceived risk.
Commenting on the announcement, AGF CEO, Mr. Felix Bikpo said, “The consequences of COVID-19 pandemic will continue to have escalating negative effects on SMEs in Africa both on the supply and demand sides. Consequently, we must assume that there follows a deterioration of these SMEs’ creditworthiness. This is likely to increase the cost of credit for the financial sector which will surely increase their reluctance to finance the SME sector if there is no external stimulus. It is because of this that we must develop a commercial response in addition to the regulatory responses given by the different central banks and governments in the continent. Therefore, in line with our mandate we have launched the COVID-19 Guarantee Facility.”
AGF will also continue to use its technical assistance support to increase the capacity of financial institutions in their risk assessment of SMEs during the crisis period. This will allow analyzing the impact of the pandemic on the financial institutions, so as to forge the best possible responses to adapt effectively.
The African Guarantee Fund recently received a third time AA- Rating by Fitch, which was first assigned in November 2017, a first for a guarantee fund in Africa.
“This exceptional rating is a sign of confidence and trust in AGF’s operational excellence, particularly now that financial institutions are in need of cushioning to continue lending to SMEs, who hold the key to the economic recovery of their respective countries,” concluded AGF CEO, Mr. Felix Bikpo.
Since inception, AGF has boosted SME lending in Africa by issuing guarantees to financial institutions thereby unlocking loans worth USD 2.5 Billion.
Health4 weeks ago
Some states making false claims about Covid-19 infected persons – Northern Elders
NEWS3 weeks ago
MINING CONTROVERSY, A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT TO EMBARRASS THE SACRED THRONE OF OONI OF IFE
NEWS4 weeks ago
Yoruba Nation Becomes 45th Member of UNPO
NEWS2 weeks ago
Buhari’s New Chief of Staff Gambari More Dangerous Than Late Abba Kyari By Ambassador Dapo Fafowora
BUSINESS4 weeks ago
Impending mass sack looms at Access Bank
NEWS2 weeks ago
COVID-19: Lagos State Discharges 26 More Patients
Health3 weeks ago
Coronavirus – South Africa: StatsSA releases Coronavirus COVID-19 behavioural and health perception survey results
POLITICS4 weeks ago
PDP Ekiti ward executives sworn in for four-year tenure