Residents of Olomore Housing Estate in Abeokuta North Local Government Area of Ogun State and Motorists have again appealed to the State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun to urgently repair gapping potholes and bad portions of Olomore, Brewery roads.
Both residents and motorists had insisted that the areas has not had it as bad as it had been in the past two to three years under the past administration of Senator Ibikunle Amosun.
The Community Leaders, Businessmen, Traders and Commuters in the areas have called on the governor to factor Olomore, Brewery roundabout into the key areas he would pay attention to, noting that it has been very difficult for people of the areas to ply the roads as they usually arrived lately to their various destinations.
A Community Leader, Elder Jacob Fagbounge said that it was pathetic that Prince Dapo Abiodun-led administration had forgotten the people of the area, noting that no roads in Olomore Housing Estate was motorable, as even the link road had been in deplorable situation as such.
He said that it took the Community Development Associations (CDAs) of Olomore to take the bull by the horn in repairing the roads during the lockdown period, saying that no refund was made to them by the State Government till date.
“We need to repair the roads by ourselves during the lockdown period, as we find it very difficult to ply the road, though it was a self-help projects but now that it is beyond our capacity, Governments needs to come to our aid by putting the roads in better condition for the betterment of our people,” Fagbounge said
Solomon Ajakanri, a motorist, who plies Olomore- Brewery road, said it was sad that such a terrible road was still existing in Nigeria, while describing the road as a death trap, Ajakanri called on both the Federal and State Governments to take urgent steps to fix it.
“Imagine, a journey from Olohunda to Abeokuta that is supposed to be for one hour take well over two hours because of the poor condition of our roads, especially this Olomore and Brewery roundabout,” he said
It will be recalled that in July this year, Ogun State Government said that it was aware of the challenges confronting residents as a result of deplorable conditions of roads spread across the State, but till date most of these roads has not been attended to by the government.
The State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Ade Akinsanya then stated that all the deplorable roads across the state would be repaired, but those of Olomore, Brewery roundabout, Oke-Ata, Ibara Orile and many more remain same as at filling this report.
Why we didn’t distribute looted COVID-19 palliatives – Official
The Osun Food and Relief Committee on COVID-19, on Friday, said the looted items at a warehouse in Ede town were not hoarded, but rather kept for flag-off of official distribution.
Bayo Jimoh, secretary to the committee, in a statement in Osogbo, said that the looted items were donated to the committee as palliatives to the people by Private Sector Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID).
Some angry youth in the early hours of Friday broke into a warehouse in Ede town and carted away COVID-19 palliatives meant for distribution.
Items such as beans, noodles, sugar, salt, garri, rice, pastas, vegetable oil, among others, were looted from the warehouse located within the moribund Cocoa Industry, Ede.
The incident, however, happened barely 24 hours after the state government announced the suspension of dusk-till-dawn curfew imposed following the #EndSARS protest.
Governor Adegboyega Oyetola had in April inaugurated a 21-member Food and Relief Committee to cushion the effect of COVID-19 on the people of the state.
Mr Jimoh, however, said that the looted food items had no direct bearing with the state government, adding that the items were within the purview of the Food and Relief Committee.
He said as such, the items could only be distributed after a formal flag-off by the CACOVID Office, Abuja.
The statement read partly, ”We do not have the authority to distribute the food items without approval from Abuja.
”Besides, the Committee is still expecting the rice component of the donated items, which is 40, 230 bags of 5kg.
“All these are part of the reasons the items were still in the warehouse up till the time of the invasion.
“The following items were donated; Pasta FMN – 29, 992; Pasta OLAM -10, 282; Noodles- 80, 644; Garri -40, 322; Salt- 40, 320; and Sugar – 40, 227.
“However, the rice components of the donated items are yet to be delivered until now. The Committee wrote to CACOVID as recently as Sept. 28, 2020, reminding it of the rice component, which is yet to be delivered.
“However, until this moment, we are yet to receive response from CACOVID.
“This is the truth about the status of the donated relief items until the unfortunate looting,” Mr Jimoh said.(NAN)
LAGOS CONDEMNS VANDALISATION OF WAREHOUSE FOR CACOVID FOOD PALLIATIVES
The Lagos State Government has condemned the vandalisation of the warehouse at Mazamaza housing the food palliative packages donated to the government by the Private Sector Coalition against COVID-19 (CACOVID) group. The items belong to the Southwest, contrary to social media reports that they are all for Lagos.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had on September 22nd 2020, formally taken receipt of the food palliatives from the CACOVID team meant for distribution to the indigent.
The State had repackaged its share of the consignment and was distributing it before the protests that have affected activities in the State. The repackaging was being done to account for every beneficiary, according to the agreement with the CACOVID Group, which monitored the process.
The warehouse in question is not State-owned and its usage was made available to the CACOVID group.
The distribution was on-going but had to be halted due to protests, before the invasion of the warehouse today.
For effective distribution of the food palliatives, groups such as Transport Unions, Ethnic Groups, Religious Associations, Artisans and Tradesmen Association, Marketmen and Women Association, People Living with Disabilities, Orphanages and Old Peoples’ Homes among others were being used as the distribution channels to their members.
The State Government, however, regrets the invasion of the warehouse and appreciates the support offered by the CACOVID group to the citizenry of Lagos.
WE DID NOT ORDER LEKKI SHOOTING – SANWO-OLU
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has, again, spoken on the ugly incident that happened at the Lekki Toll Plaza on Tuesday evening, in which military personnel used live ammunition to disperse EndSARS protesters who camped at the tollgate to demand for the end to police brutality.
Sanwo-Olu maintained that the State Government did not order the military shooting, which left about 11 of the youths severely injured. The Governor also sustained his earlier assertion that, no protester died in the incident, stressing that he and officials of the State Government had gone round private and public health facilities across the State without being able to identify bodies of those allegedly killed in the incident except one that died from blunt force trauma and another corpse that was recovered by the police in the Victoria Island area with bullet wounds.
The Governor appeared on The Morning Show programme aired live on Arise News, said the State was already investigating whether the deceased was a protester.
Sanwo-Olu asked members of the public with credible information on anyone or group of persons killed in the incident to come forward with the claim. He said the social media overblew the proportion of the incident with what he described as “false information” being shared by those who were not at the scene of the incident.
He said: “There have been several false information that we have seen over the incident and we will appeal to people to show more restraint in posting information that cannot be verified.”
The Governor spoke on the alleged removal of Close-Circuit Television (CCTV) security cameras at the Toll Plaza before the shooting started, debunking the claims that he ordered the action. Sanwo-Olu said the cameras that were removed were not security cameras but laser cameras meant to capture vehicles’ electronic tags and number plates. He said the removal of the laser cameras was a decision taken by Lekki Concession Company (LCC) that owns the facility.
He said: “When I spoke to the Managing Director of LCC over the matter, he told me the company took the decision to remove installations critical to their service when the curfew was announced. Those cameras that were displayed in the viral pictures were not security or motion cameras. They are laser cameras for vehicles, specifically designed to pick electronic tags and number plates on cars. Security cameras installed at the Toll Plaza are still there as I speak and the footages from them are the ones that we will be using in probing the Lekki incident. Since Tuesday, the security cameras at the Toll Plaza are still there and nobody can touch them.”
Sanwo-Olu said multi-agency investigation into Lekki incident may begin next Monday when order would have been fully restored across the State, pointing out that the recordings of the CCTV security cameras at the Toll Plaza would be useful in unraveling the circumstance that surrounded the incident.
Members of the public, the Governor said, will be part of the investigation for transparency. He added that security experts would be involved to analyse the recordings of the CCTV security cameras to ensured the footages captured since the time the protesters started camping at the tollgate were not tampered with.
On the allegation that he influenced the switching off of the billboard that illuminated the Toll Plaza area at night, Sanwo-Olu said the concessionaire that operates the billboard took the decision independently after the curfew order was announced.
Speaking on the aftermath of the organised attacks on government properties, iconic buildings and private assets, Sanwo-Olu said the nature of the destruction indicated an attempt by the arsonists to keep the State in limbo. He said the attacks were specifically targeted at emergency response infrastructure of the State to weaken its response in the case of large-scale violence.
The Governor disclosed that the arsonists, in the organised destruction, razed four State-owned fire stations and five fire trucks. He said the reconstruction of the damaged assets would cost billions, but said the State would bounce back after the devastation.
Sanwo-Olu said it would be insensitive for him to buttress the narrative linking the arsonist attacks on public buildings to sectarian elements, saying his immediate priority was to salvage the damaged assets and prevent further attacks. He, however, said all materials suggesting the arson may have been organised by secessionists would be left for security agencies for proper analysis.
Clarifying his statement that forces beyond him were behind the deployment of troops to Lekki axis, the Governor said: “The hierarchy and chains of command in the military are not within my purview. This is not something I have responsibility for. I do not have such power to control or activate the military. That essentially is what I was trying to say in that particular phrase.”
He also explained that he reached out to President Muhammadu Buhari on two occasions to seek for more help as public assets in the State were being destroyed. He said the President responded, directing the Chief of Defence Staff to liaise with him.
He said: “I made phone calls to speak to the President twice yesterday (Wednesday). The first time, he (president) hadn’t come to the office. The second time, he was at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting. Indeed, I haven’t spoken to him directly. He was actually the one who directed the Chief of Defence Staff to call me and I feel that it was when he got my message. Because, when the Chief of Defence Staff called me, he said to me it was the President that asked him to call. But, I haven’t spoken to the President directly; maybe later today, that might happen.”
Aftermath of the destruction, Sanwo-Olu urged the residents of Lagos to come together and heal the wounds inflicted on the State by the arsonists. He said the ugly incident put citizens’ patriotism to test, urging them to unite and re-build the State from the ruins left by the attacks.
He said: “We are at a point where all of us as a people living in the State must come together more than ever before. Our patriotism has been put to test and we need to re-engage ourselves and heal the several wounds that have been inflicted on us. We do not have any other country; this is our country.
“In Lagos, we cannot afford to put to waste what our forefathers and the generation of leaders before us have put in place. We need to preserve our heritage and we need to know that indeed we can build a future for our children. We need to put an end to any form of anger, protest, confrontation and bleeding. Let us come together and start a real healing process.”
NEWS4 weeks ago
NIGERIA @ 60: DON’T DESPAIR, EXPECT A GREATER NIGERIA, SAYS GOV. DAPO ABIODUN
BUSINESS4 weeks ago
Heritage Bank, PWC, Deloitte canvass use of tech to rescind effects of Covid-19, tackle fraud
BUSINESS3 weeks ago
Heritage Bank, 5 others receive FG’s letter of engagement to open 774, 000 SPW beneficiaries’ accounts
BUSINESS3 weeks ago
FIRSTBANK REINFORCES ITS FINANCIAL INCLUSION DRIVE; DISBURSES OVER 17 BILLION NAIRA LOANS THROUGH FIRSTADVANCE
Banking3 weeks ago
FIRSTBANK PARTNERS LSETF TO OFFER FUNDING AT ATTRACTIVE INTEREST RATE TO LOW-COST PRIVATE SCHOOLS IN LAGOS STATE
NEWS4 weeks ago
Lagos based business man wins TYLgames N1million grand prize
COLUMNISTS4 weeks ago
TRIBALISM AND RELIGION
Banking4 weeks ago
Heritage Bank’s MD calls for more impactful role in banking to aid speedy economic recovery